I’m interested: what are some of your kids’ favourite foods? Just list ’em in the comments section.
To start things off, here are The Boy’s Top 20, in alphabetical order:
- Bacon, because let’s face it, everything goes better with bacon.
- Bananas, for the energy after a badminton workout.
- Blueberries, frozen and in two-cup doses.
- Chicken Vindaloo from Indian Oven.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough, which he makes, freezes into disks, then eats with his buddies.
- Chocolate pudding, made with whole milk, bittersweet chocolate and a titch of almond flavor, served with slightly sweetened mascarpone.
- Cucumbers, which he loves enough to grow his own.
- Eggs, sunny-side up, preferably accompanied with bacon (see above).
- Elk & bison sticks from Oyama Sausage Co. He’s fussy about this. No get Oyama, no eat sticks.
- Grapes. Always frozen, only organic.
- Lettuce. If it’s washed and there’s no cucumber, he’ll eat a whole head while playing cribbage with his dad.
- Milk, always whole and almost always with homemade chocolate syrup.
- NY strip steak, but only from Hopcott Meats unless he’s at Grandma’s.
- Onions, fried till caramelized, then slathered on any kind of burger.
- Pickles, homemade, for which he will happily peel the garlic.
- Rice. It’s gotta be short and brown, boiled, then tossed with olive oil and soy sauce, laid flat on a rimmed sheet and baked till crisp.
- Seedy crackers, most often with parsley pesto.
- See’s Candies chocolate cigars.
- Strawberries, only organic, and in as massive amounts as possible.
- Wild Pacific salmon marinated in soy sauce and maple syrup, then barbecued on a wooden plank.
Now, tell me about some of your kids’ favorite foods.